Thursday, January 31, 2013

Quoting Katelyn

Katelyn's funny little sayings these days are endless, but I've jotted a few down to note here so we can always remember them. It's so easy when you're in the thick of parenting young children to forget* just what certain ages entail and what their little personalities were like at specific points in time.

(* I'm actually convinced that moms donate a portion of their brain cells to their child when they grow a baby and then make another large, sacrificial donation when the baby is born. This makes forgetfulness a way too frequent problem for this mama!)


With some recent photos of both girls sprinkled throughout, here's what Katelyn has had to say as an almost-three-year-old...


- "Is this my right hand?" (Yes, that's your right hand.) "Is this my second hand?"

- She uses the word "for" in place of "so." Examples: "I need to close my curtains for I can sleep." "I want to put my socks on for my feet stay warm and cozy." And my favorite, "I'm closing the door for I can have some privacy." Umm, is she almost 3 or 13?


- Similarly, she also uses the word "bring" in place of "give." Examples: "Can I bring you one more hug and one more kiss?" and "We need to bring Kendall a bath!"

- The other day, I overheard her singing "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" only her words were: "Here we go 'round the MORE-lady-bus, the MORE-lady-bus, the MORE-lady-bus."


- "I need to open the door for we can have some fresh air. Ahh, isn't it nice?" Yes, stated in January in Minnesota. She may not know yet just how nice it will be when April rolls around!

- Working on crafts one day, she said, "We have been working so hard. Daddy's gonna love these!" (Do you think she's heard someone say that before? Verbatim.)


- Katelyn was wearing a necklace and I commented that I liked it. Her response: "Oh, thanks. It's from Ireland." Because don't you know she traveled there a few months ago?! (Took me a second to figure it out, but in one of the Angelina Ballerina segments they talk about various dances, one of which is an Irish step dance and of course, it's from Ireland.)


- It's so cute when kiddos are learning about language and have a little confusion about which words to use when. For example, during lunch the other day Katelyn asked "Can I have some of your Alice?" I looked at my plate and realized she was talking about my salad. "Alice?! Some of my Alice?!" We laughed and laughed about that one! During Christmas, she got to try some eggnog and asked, "Can I have some more corn dog, please?" Ha!


- We've also been talking about rhyming words. It's cute to see how the concept takes shape... "Toby and Sophie - they RHYME!" (Referring to Toby Keith the country singer and Sophie, the giraffe teething toy of Kendall's - quite the duo, don't you think?!) We were talking about goosebumps and being a silly goose and how they both have the same word in them. Katelyn says, "Hey! Goose and goose - they RHYME!"


- Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets by this girl. She's most definitely an auditory learner from what I can tell and countless times a day, she'll say to me and Michael, "What are you guys talking about?" or "What did you say about ___?" Even if we respond with what we're talking about, she'll ask why we're talking about that and what exactly we're saying about it. She wants to be in the know!


- Another thing Katelyn has been into lately is opposites and how silly it is to say the opposite thing of what's expected and then laugh and laugh about it. We have a book about sizes and one page goes from small things to big things in a progression (getting bigger). She thinks it's hilarious to say "getting smaller, getting smaller, to the smallest! Hee, hee, ha, ha!" Or she'll say, "It's really warm outside today. I must wear my flip flops" followed by incessant laughing!

Katelyn keeps us smiling, that's for sure, and we hope to always remember these days of silly sayings.

(And if you're currently humming "Here we go 'round the mulberry bush more-lady-bus" - yeah, sorry about that ;)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Kate, you keep us in stitches with your silly sayings and big imagination! Papa and I love your curious nature and playful spirit and look forward to what's in store with you as a 3-year old!

Cindy said...

Katelyn, Your "sayings" make me laugh! And...I AM singing "here we go round the more-lady-bus" ... over and over today! :-)