Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pictures, Patients, and Potty Talk

So, anyway, we've been busy writing notes to Prince Charming lately...


...and trying not to get blown away by the autumnal breezes...


...and posing for (utterly exhausting) photo shoots...




... and playing doctor (Kendall and I have multiple daily check-ups)...



...and being smiley...


...and being serious(-ly blue-eyed :)...


...and spending precious sister time together...


As you can see, we've got so much to do in so little time! 

But one thing we have been spending some time on lately is getting a certain little 2 1/2-year-old acclimated with the big girl potty. And guess what? She's now rocking Hello Kitty underwear all day, everyday. We're so proud of her! I think she's been ready for awhile but I was a little hesitant to walk the uncharted territory in the midst of adjusting to life with a newborn, but heck, why not just add a little more crazy to the craziness?! I'm glad we seized the moment because it really only took a few days of potty visits to transition out of diapers and into underwear. Hallelujah!

As you saw, Katelyn loves playing doctor. She's had her doctor kit for many months and has enjoyed playing MD for awhile, but now that we have a new "patient" to work on it's even more fun. She usually initiates the play with, "You don't feel very good, Mommy?" and proceeds to say, "I'm Dr. Kate... first we're gonna cut your hair." The plastic scissors in the kit are obviously for haircuts :)

One of my bigger concerns when taking Katelyn out of daycare was keeping her socially stimulated and engaged in activities throughout the week. So, during August and September, we had countless play dates at our house and many visits to the park with friends. Now that we're into October, we're in full swing with standing weekly activities: Kindermusik class on Mondays, Bible Study (for me) and "church" (child care with a focus on Bible stories) for Katelyn on Tuesdays, and ECFE class on Wednesdays - which is held at a nearby elementary school and includes parent/child playtime and then separation where the kids stay and play in one room and the moms go to another room for a discussion. Kendall comes along for all of this fun too, so I'm feeling quite accomplished when we make it to these appointments a) dressed, b) on time, and c) without peanut butter on our faces from breakfast.

We are enjoying and settling nicely into our new fall routine. And we've got even more fun on the horizon with special visitors lined up for every weekend this month - stay tuned!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

What great pictures depicting some of your recent activities! I laughed out loud about getting a haircut at the doctor's office! Katelyn, you are too funny! I'm so glad you are all adjusting to your new routine and even sporting Hello Kitty "unnerwear" in the process! Hugs to all!! Have fun with Uncle Buck (Mitch) this weekend!!

Kristin said...

Yay for being out of diapers! Way to go, Katelyn! And could Kendall be any sweeter?! She looks like big sis in many ways, but yet still has her own distinctive features.

The ECFE classes are just like a program here called Brighter Beginnings. I've always thought they were a great opportunity.

It's good that you have at least two open days during the week. I completely over-committed us this fall and am already strategizing on how to cut back on activities for the next round. :) Finding that perfect balance has suddenly gotten more complicated!

Cindy said...

Katelyn, I'm making my next doctor appointment with you so I get a good haircut! TOO funny!



Shelly said...

These pictures are amazing!!!! I love those little moments during the day. Prince Charming, doctor, sweet smiles...it's all priceless!!

I'm so glad you're keeping busy, but on that note, we need to schedule a play date :-)