Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wordless Wednesday (umm, sort of... okay, not really)

Today's Wordless Wednesday goes against code. It includes (gasp!) words. I know, I know, totally against the WW philosophy, but we have some updates that warrant actual words instead of just pictures. But first of all, check out a short video of our official little walker girl! Way to go, Kate!


You might remember from this post that Katelyn was on an antibiotic for pink eye and ear infection (and in case you were wondering, Michael had strep throat last week and ended up missing 2 days of work... this is the guy who has used 2 sick days in the last 7 years prior to last week, so I knew he wasn't faking it ;) Anyway, today was the last day of the 10-day antibiotic for Katelyn. This morning I noticed some red spots on her leg and mentioned it to her teachers when I dropped her off at school. They called me around 9 am and said her spots (hives) were spreading and getting more prominent. I took her to the doctor right away, but we ended up waiting for 2 hours to get in (yes, 2 hours, God help us me!) Thankfully, Katelyn was her happy, normal self aside from the red patches on her arms and legs and had no problem passing the time by walking around waving to all the kids in the waiting room. 


We finally saw the doctor and it turns out Katelyn is allergic to penicillin... just like her Daddy. Usually this kind of allergy doesn't surface during the first or even second round of antibiotic treatment (this is Katelyn's 2nd time on it) and it also usually shows at the end of the treatment (today was her final dose). Going forward, we know not to get an antibiotic with penicillin for her. Even though she's not contagious, the doctor recommended I stay home with her today and monitor the hives to ensure they don't get worse (which they haven't at this point). They should clear up in a few days. So we enjoyed a surprise mid-week day together complete with lots of books and a walk outside.



One last picture of Katelyn showing off her most recent discovery... (yep, we see this multiple times at dinner - the best is when it happens during grace!)


After a bit of a crazy day today, we're still gearing up for a big, celebratory day tomorrow - someone is turning ONE!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Katelyn! How fun to see you walking!!! You look like such a BIG girl walking across the room! Did Grampa teach you that nose "trick" you like to do during meals?! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!!

Cindy said...

Oh little Kate, I don't know which is cuter ... your walking or the great talking noises you were making during your walk. What a BIG girl you are now that you're walking! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!! We can't wait to see you on Saturday! Perhaps you'll show us your walking skills at your bday party!!!

Julie said...

Yeah Katelyn for walking!!! I love when they first learn to walk how careful they take each step. She looks so proud!!! Wait till she starts running!

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday, Katelyn! I hope you did some fun things with Mommy and Daddy today! And a big CONGRATS on your new walking skills. Welcome to the toddler stage!! :)