Saturday, May 4, 2013

Katelyn Says

Katelyn has been full of 'em lately - funny quotes that is. We used to keep a square Post-It handy to jot down a handful of notable sayings, but we've had to upgrade to a notebook! For your reading enjoyment, here are some of her cute words and phrases with some recent pictures sprinkled in...

First up: "black-selder bugs." We've got a ton of them outside our house and occasionally one will sneak inside. "Mom, a black-selder bug! A black-selder bug is in my princess castle!" Well, they are indeed black, so I gotta give her that. And I have yet to outright correct her - it's just too cute :)


On the first day of April: "It's a new month. Now it's Maple!" March + April = Maple.

Riding her tricycle up a small hill in our neighborhood and I overhear this mantra: "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." One of a million moments we'd like to bottle up.


In some cases, "very" and "really" are interchangeable (for example when paired with an adjective - "very/really cold"). In some cases, they're not but Katelyn tries: "But I very, very want to play outside!" 

A sign we've all been talking way too much about the weather lately, Katelyn tells just about everyone we see: "It's too cold for March/April/and now May (!). The poor birdies are confused! It needs to be springtime!" Amen, sister, Amen.


Katelyn inquired, "But why sometimes you call it a sucker and sometimes you call it a lollipop?" And so began a conversation about synonyms with a few examples - street/road, park/playground, etc. Then Katelyn said, "Yeah, just like shake and smoothie!" You got it, girl!

"Mom, what are you going to do without your big helper when I go to preschool?" Can you tell I've wondered about that to her a time or two? It's true, I will miss my big helper next fall.


We've been playing our share of "I Spy with My Little Eye..." in the car and on walks. Sometimes if Katelyn's item is tough, she'll say, "It's a tricky one! Do you want me to bring you a hint?" Just like very/really, "bring" and "give" are sometimes interchangeable and sometimes not :)

For Katelyn, the word "their" comes out as "them." For example, "Why did they leave them shoes on?" or "May I go up them hill?" (she refers to driveways as hills.)


For the past couple weeks, Katelyn had been singing a single line from a song and these were the words: "There is one thing he cannot do..." We asked her where she learned that song and what it was about and she said she learned it at church and it's about God. Hmmm, what can God not do, we wondered? Well last week during church, all the kids in the Children's Ministry programming came out and sang this song... "There is one thing He cannot do... He cannot stop loving us! He cannot stop loving us!" Ah-ha! Truth.


Me: "Daddy had to leave quickly this morning to catch the bus."
Kate: "Catch the bus with hims hands?"
Me: "To catch the bus means it picks up riders at a certain time and he needs to be there to get on so he doesn't miss it."
Kate: "Did he have to run and wave to catch up to the bus?"
Indeed, some of our phrases can be a bit confusing to little ones!


Some of Katelyn's prayers lately:
"Lord Jesus, thank you for healing my sore bottom."
"Lord Jesus, I can whistle. Watch this... {attempts to whistle - which she has actually been able to do by taking quick breaths in - but this time she has a little trouble}... "Sorry, Jesus, I can't whistle right now."
"Dear Lord, thank you for our Lord." (This is a popular one.)
"Dear Lord, thank you for helping the injured people today." (We saw a police car and an ambulance with their lights on earlier, so we talked about what they might be doing.)



She's still working on fully understanding the concept of apologies and then forgiveness (quite frankly, a tough one for grown-ups, too). So her apologies usually go like this: "I'm sorry I took your ball away from you, Kendall. {hugs her} I forgive you." Umm... okay then. But oh-so-sweet.


And that's a wrap for today's edition of Katelyn's quotes. Hope they made you smile :) Enjoy the weekend!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Katelyn, we love your sweet innocence and the way your mind is always working. We are also grateful your mommy and daddy are recording these precious comments for everyone to remember and treasure in the years to come. We love you, Sweetie!

Kristin said...

These Katelyn quotes totally made me smile, Missy. Such a sweet, sweet girl!

Shelly said...

Maple! Love it!!! These quotes are so cute, and great job writing them down!!! And the pictures are AMAZING. That first one of Katelyn....her eyes. Oh my gosh. Great job with the camera Missy!

Cindy said...

Out of the mouths of babes!! Made me laugh! Can't wait to hear more Kate-isms in June!