Six days until the baby's due date. Six. Six! Honestly, I thought for awhile there I'd be having a July baby, but August is here now so this babe will no doubt be an Auggie. I have been feeling on the verge of labor for at least 2 weeks now, which makes me question my so-called "mother's instinct." Ha! Regardless, things do continue to progress and I'm hopeful the baby will arrive on his/her own prior to an induction (which will likely be late next week). My last day of work is tomorrow, which will certainly be bittersweet. I've been there for almost 6 years, but a new chapter is on the horizon now.
~~~
With Katelyn preparing for the big sister role, she got upgraded to a big girl room in early June. The adjustment went amazingly well and she embraced her big girl bed from day one (we talked it up a lot and I think that helped). This big girl takes the term literally; doesn't she look like she's 2 going on 12?!
Michael painted her room a very light pink to help set the stage for the changes - the previous color was a crazy shade of beige that actually looked more like peach in certain light, so it was time for a change! Then we moved all the nursery furniture to the baby's room and replaced it with a new bed, dresser, and cube organizer for Kate - all white, which is a nice bright change from her previous black furniture. The bedding is mostly pink, coral, and turquoise, which I thought was a fun combo. Bonus that it was on clearance at Target.com :)
Michael got to put his engineering skills and toolkit to work in assembling all the furniture (thanks, honey!)
The walls were bare until recently when we worked on a little art project. Thanks to Pinterest for the idea! I have a hard time paying for art and wall decor in rooms that are designed especially for kids - such as their bedroom and playroom. So our adventure in featuring Katelyn's artistic talents began with several 8x10 white canvases from Michael's craft store and some painter's tape...
First, I painted them all a turquoise color as the background for some consistency...
Then it was time for the little artist to add her own flare with some accent paint colors including coral, pink, and light turquoise...
She did a great job and had fun with it! Don't you think she needs a beret hat?!
At times it was a challenge for the type A in me to not "instruct" her on colors and placement, but I resisted as best as I could - you know what I'm talking about, mamas, don't you? :)
Then it came time to peel off the tape for the big reveal (this almost felt like Christmas for me and Michael - ha, ha!)...
And placed the letters in their new home on the wall in our big girl's room...
Ta-dah!! The final product and the happy little painter herself.
To wrap up this post, here are a few "Kate quotes" from recent days:
~ "I have two noses... one and two." (pointing to each nostril!)
~ I was explaining that Michael and I were going out for dinner, so she would be playing with the babysitter. She thought about that for several seconds and said, "Oh, you and Daddy are hungry?"
~ "I got a new car to drive to my office. It's purple. My office is downtown." I asked where she parks the car and what kind of work she does at her office. "I park it in the street. I make cookies and cupcakes." We might have a future baker on our hands!
~ At dinnertime, sometimes Kate likes to say a prayer by repeating what Michael or I say one line at a time. Last week, Michael included the line "fill us with your grace" which she repeated as, "Fill us with your grapes."
~ "Excuse me, Mommy. I have a question. Does Malone have a diaper?" No, Malone doesn't wear diapers. "Oh, he's a big boy?"
And that's a wrap, folks!



6 comments:
Love Katelyn's new room! The bedspread is adorable with those bright colors! And the name painting for the wall is such a cute idea! May have to borrow that one! :) Hope baby Mlakar makes his/her entrance into this world sooner rather then later! Keep me posted! Thinking of you!
Katelyn, ha ha! I'm laughing out loud at the cute and funny things you say. And I LOVE the beautiful new artwork in your big girl room!! It's awesome! Papa and I hope to come see you very SOON and meet your baby brother or sister!!! Love you, Sweetie!
Thinking of you on your last day of "real work" and on to your new job tomorrow! I am sure your company is sad to loose such an awesome gal! (By the way - are you hiring at the Mlakar household?)
Katelyn, You are quite the little artist!! You have a beautiful new big girl room!! Love to read about the things you say! Life is quite a conundrum, isn't it?!!
What a great big girl room! I think I've seen a few variations of the artwork on Pinterest, but I really love how you let Katelyn add her own little design elements! :) That just makes it that much more special. Hang in there and try to enjoy these last few precious days before the new baby comes. It won't be long now!
Love your Pinterest project!! Great work!!! I think it's very impressive that you did all that with a toddler. WAY TO GO! Kate looks like she loves her big girl room. Now it's time for baby...Tick Tock :-).
Post a Comment